The best advice for driving during winter weather is to suggest not to drive at all. At Salerno Duane Summit we understand that for many NJ drivers that isn’t an option. Many of us can not avoid driving during the winter months. If you are going to drive during snowy or icy road conditions it is important to make sure that your car is prepared to handle the road conditions.
Our Salerno Duane dealership would like to educate our customers about inclement weather and give some tips to follow when driving during the winter months ahead. If you have any questions regarding the safety of your vehicle please complete the form below or use our Ask a Service Advisor Tool.
Snow or Ice Driving Condition Tips:
- Keep your lights and windshield clean – you should remove all snow from your vehicle [including the roof] before beginning your trip.
- Turn on your lights to increase visibility for yourself and other motorist on the road.
- Decrease your vehicles speed and leave at least three times more stopping space then usual between you and the car in front of you.
- Brake Gently, if your vehicle’s wheels do start to lock up, ease off the brake.
- Use Low gears to keep traction, especially when driving on hills – DO NOT use cruise control or over drive.
- Don’t assume your vehicle can handle all conditions – even some All Wheel Drive and Front-Wheel drive vehicles can encounter trouble on winter roads.
If your vehicle’s front wheels skid:
- Take your foot off the gas and shift to neutral – do not try to steer
- As the wheels skid sideways, they will slow the vehicle and traction will return. As this happens, steer in the direction you want to go then put the transmission in drive or release the clutch and begin to accelerate gently.
It is important to make sure that your vehicle is winterized and its systems are ready for winter driving. There are many important that play a role including your vehicle’s tires, traction control, alignment and other important functions.If your vehicles functions are not prepared for traveling during inclement weather conditions the probability of an accident are much higher.
For more information about how you can prepare your car for winter visit our Salerno Duane Service center in Summit or use our online Ask a Service Advisor tool. Salerno Duane Summit encourages everyone to stay safe while traveling this winter!